Dunk Island Queensland. Owning a Piece of Paradise
Dunk Island. Ever heard of it? Me neither up until a few months ago.
A few more questions I’ll throw at you.
Have you ever thought about owning a part of an island?
Did you ever think it would be possible, or was just one of those things that you could only ever dream of?
Or maybe you always thought that it was solely for the likes of Richard Branson? Yeah, me too.
First, a little bit of background. For my Aussie readers, I’m sure you’re familiar with the
sometimes sunny state of Queensland (QLD). BUT, are you familiar with all of the surrouning islands? I sure wasn’t!
There’s Haggerton Island, Lizard Island, Green Island, Fitzroy Island, Magnetic Island and of course, perhaps the most popular Whisundays. I know there’s more, and there’s one in specific that is truly spectacular that I’ve yet to mention; Dunk Island.
A few fun facts about lil’ ol’ Dunk Island:
- It’s an island within the Cassowary Coast Region in QLD, Australia, which lies 4KM off the Australian East coast opposite the town of Mission Beach
- Reefs surround the island, and it is home to a diverse population of birds
- The Bandjin and Djiru indigenous peoples are the traditional owners of the island, and it’s Aboriginal name is Coonanglebah, which means “Island of Peace and Plenty”.
- It was used by the Royal Australian Airforce in WW II
- And perhaps the most known fact about Dunk, is that it was severley ravaged by cyclone Yasi in 2011. Until now, nothing has been done to fix or change the horrific damage that was caused on this once serene island
- It is one of the only islands in QLD that still has some of the oldest rainforest in the world remaining on it – The Daintree Rainforest. Due to this, it makes it World Heritage Listed – i.e. it has been selected by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) as having cultural, scientific, or other form of significance and is legally protected by international treaties
OK, now that we’ve completed your history lesson, let’s get into the fun stuff!
Tell Me More About Dunk Island
Perhaps like you, Drew and I didn’t really think that in our 5 year plan we’d have rights and privilidges to part of a world heritage listed island. But, somehow, fate has made it so. (Not complaining).
Let me elaborate on the part where you can also own a little “slice of paradise”. (Clichéd saying, I know, but necessary).
Dunk Island was owned by entrepreneur Peter Bond. A company named Property Bay then came along and saw the potential in Dunk Island, and now have it under freehold.
To have something under “freehold” means to have permanent and absolute tenure of a property or land, with the freedom to dispose of it at will.
After it was cyclone ravaged, nothing had been done to bring this island back to life so to speak. Until now.
What About The Environment?
Now I’m sure you’ve thought about the impact that this development is going to have on the island. However, this is the best part.
Property Bay have agreed to and planned to have a ZERO carbon footprint with this development.
What does this mean? That it will be extrememly eco and environmentally friendly, and therefore will not damage the world heritage listed rainforest. (no doubt there’s a vegan restaurnat on there somewhere).
To find out more about the eco related project, you can read about it right here.
How Do I Get Involved?
To find out some more details about the future plans of Dunk Island, and how to get involved in this rare opportunity, simply click here.
Who knows, maybe we’ll catch you on the island! 😉